Lehigh Township municipal offices are located at 1741 South Lehigh Gorge Drive, Weatherly, PA 18255; phone: 570-427-4950.
A large portion of Lehigh Township was originally covered by dense forests of evergreen trees. Its territory was embraced within Luasanne Township from 1808 until 1875, when it was organized as a separate division of the county.
The Moravians at one time owned a tract of timber land where Rockport is now located. The timber on this tract was purchased by the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company in 1824. The company erected several saw mills and a number of dwellings for laborers. The settlement, which was situated on a high bluff, was called Laurytown. The timber was slid down the mountainside to the mills, and after being sawed was rafted down the Lehigh River to Mauch Chunk [See: Old Mauch Chunk Historic District] and other places.