East Penn Township
East Penn Township municipal offices are located at 167 Municipal Road, Lehighton, PA 18235; phone: 570-386-5735.
The Township of Penn, embracing that portion of the territory of Carbon County lying between the Blue Mountain and the western bank of the Lehigh River, together with a part of Schuylkill County, was set off from Towamensing in the year 1768.
In 1808 East Penn, West Penn and Lausanne were formed from Penn Township. East Penn embraced the present township of Mahoning and the greater part of Mauch Chunk. West Penn became part of Schuylkill County in 1811.
In 1827 the territory of East Penn was reduced by the setting off of Mauch Chunk Township, the major portion of which was taken from this district. 15 years later, Mahoning was carved from East Penn, since which time there have been no changes in its boundaries.
The first settlers of East Penn were English people, bearing the family names of Tipple, Pearsoll, Rhoades, Johnson, Meyers, Washburn, Thomas, Custard and others. They received grants for their lands about the year 1750.
Subsequent to the American Revolution, most of the original families emigrated to Canada, being succeeded here by the Palatinates with whom the remaining families became intermarried, and, in time, by them entirely absorbed.
The eastern section of the township, especially along the Lehigh River, was not permanently settled until after 1800.