Sellersville Borough municipal offices are located at 140 East Church Street, Sellersville PA 18960; phone: 215-257-5075.
Sellersville, incorporated in 1874, had previously been part of West Rockhill Township. The northeast branch of the Perkiomen Creek flows through the borough. Two mills (Wambold and Derstine) were known to have been operating along the creek as early as 1730.
The borough is named for founder, Samuel Sellers. Born in 1765 on a farm along Branch Creek in Hilltown Township, Sellers' father John (who emigrated from Germany in 1728) sired 10 children. Samuel was the second son of John and Anna. In 1789 Samuel inherited his father's farm which he quickly sold. In 1790 he purchased a tavern from Joshua Richards, which was thereafter known as Sellers' Tavern. The tavern was located along what is now West End Boulevard (Route 309.) Sellers extended his land holdings and went on to become sheriff of Bucks County (1812) and then Pennsylvania State legislator (1816). His real estate ventures extended as far as Doylestown, where he was owner of the noted Clear Springs Tavern.
A grandson of Samuel's (the son of Elias Sellers), was appointed the first postmaster in 1820. The post office was known as Sellers Tavern until 1866 when the name was changed to Sellersville.
Sellersville thrived in the late 18th and early 19th centuries as a cigar-making center, a stagecoach stop-over on the Bethlehem to Philadelphia route, and a significant host to a number of coach-makers.