Richlandtown Borough municipal offices are located at 125 South Main Street, Richlandtown PA 18955; phone: 215-538-9290.
When the first post office was established in 1828, the town was named Mattsville for the postmaster, John Matts. Prior to that, the town had gone through a succession of names, including: Three Lanes End, Ducktown, Frogtown, and Flatland.
Matts' father was John Michael Metz, who emigrated to Philadelphia in 1760 as a 10-year-old, joined the Continental Army as a young man, and participated in the Battle of Germantown. Metz, a tanner by trade, eventually moved to Springfield Twp, and subsequently to Richland. Son John was a Colonel in the Bucks County Militia, and served in for 4 terms in the state assembly.
When Christian A. Snyder became postmaster in 1839, the name was changed from Mattsville to Richlandtown. The borough was incorporated in 1890. Members of the Freed family operated various shoe factories, making the area renowned, for a time, as a shoemaking center. Jacob Snyder manufactured fly-nets for horses, and his product was sold across the U.S.