Newtown Township municipal offices are located at 100 Municipal Drive, Newtown PA 18940; phone: 215-968-2800.
Home on Manor Road compliments of
The John McClintock Team | Keller Williams Real Estate-Newtown
267-759-9518 (direct) | 215-860-4200 x518 (broker)
Sycamore Street Historic District
The Sycamore Street area was the only village development in the township and began to serve as the township center as the town of Newtown had done before the borough was created. The only tavern in the township, the Union Township House, or more recently "Township House" was established by the 1840's along this stretch of Sycamore Street and an advertisement dated 1859 stresses its location along Sycamore Street "Although not in the Borough, is really in the Town." This advertisement also illustrates Sycamore Street as the focal area of the township, "it is the only public house in the Township where the elections are held, and all Township business transacted." In 1884 when the borough was expanded the borders to the north, east and south were extended while the western border remained intact, assuring the township its operating, commercial and social center. Nineteenth century maps only show four farmsteads (one since razed), and the Newtown Presbyterian Church, as well as a wheelwright shop and a toll house on the west side of Sycamore Street. – more
Newtown and Wrightstown Townships were the fourth "division" to be made in Bucks County. In 1692 they were a single township. Sometime before 1703 the two were separated, mapped, and individually named. The exact date is unknown.
In the early 19th century, Newtown and Middletown farmers began the custom of naming their farms. A map published in 1860 designated the following names of Newtown farms along with their owners: Sunny Side, Oliver Holcomb; Greenwood, S. G. Martindale; Cherry Hill, L. Buckman; Pleasant Retreat, D. T. Leedom; Mount Airy, C. Leedom; Locust Grove, J. Barnsley; Cottage Retreat, W. S. Torbett; Willow Hill, A. Chambers; Greenbank, J. L. Trobert; Hazel Bush, M. B. Linton; Rural Retreat, C. T. Vanartsdalen; Spring Brook, H. E. Taylor; Prospect, W. M. Harvey; Green Lane, S. T. Hillborn; May Flower, I. Stoop; Oak Grove, S. Sutton; Barn Brook, J. R. Scott; Prospect Hill, E. Martindell; Prospect Hill, S. C. Buckman; Fairview, E. A. White.
Reference: Place Names in Bucks County, George MacReynolds.