Haycock Township municipal offices are located at 640 Harrisburg School Road, Quakertown PA 18951; phone: 215-536-3541.
Perhaps the earliest settler in the area was John Stokes. He was the grandson of Thomas Stokes who emigrated circa 1680 and settled near Burlington NJ. Originally more than 350 acres, the Stokes homestead (located in the vicinity of Applebachsville) remained in the family for more than 100 years. The land comprised substantial wooded areas and a 60-acre meadow. Surveyor John Chapman mentions "Stokes Meadow" in memoranda made in 1735, suggesting that the Stokes property was settled, named, and improved before that date.
Historians tell of a Lenni Lenape Indian named Neepaheilomon, alias Joe Tuneam, who lived near Stokes Meadow. Joe "spoke English well" and he and his brother-in-law were chosen by the Lenni Lenape to monitor the fairness if the infamous "Purchase Walk."
The township's early settlers were primarily Irish and Pennsylvania Germans. The major colonial industries were hardwood lumbering and "Singer Pottery," source of the now-prized-collectible "tulipware."
Nockamixon State Park's headquarters is located in the township. It was first proposed in the 1950s, developed over time, and officially opened in 1973. The 5,000-plus acre park surround the popular (1,450 acre) Lake Nockamixon.