Canton Borough offices are located at 4 North Center Street, Canton PA 17724; phone: 570-673-5700.
Incorporated in 1864 from Canton Township; area was settled as early as 1796.
The "place of the junction of roads," where Jacob Grantier settled, early became the center of interests and was long known as "Canton Corners." A village formed, and grew rapidly from the opening of the Northern Central railroad. In May, 1864, it was incorporated as Canton borough. Its population increased from 710 in 1870 to 2154 in 1920. The pioneers of the Canton region were required to go to Towanda for their mail. In 1816 a private post-route was established up Towanda creek as far as Seelye Crofut's in LeRoy. Letters and papers were brought by a boy on horse-back, once a week, from Towanda. Those above Crofut's called there for their mail where it was left. In 1825 the Canton post-office was established with Asa Pratt postmaster.