Albany Township municipal offices are located at 817 Dog Farm Road, New Albany, PA 16947.
Albany takes its name from the old Connecticut town of that name, which included in its limits, the present township. The old town was named by a party of gentlemen, formerly residents of the City of Albany, N. Y., who had purchased a large tract of land in southern Bradford. Albany is derived from the Celtic and means a country of heights. In 1664 the English applied this name to the present capital of New York, in honor of the Duke of Albany, who received this title from the Scottish Council in 1898.
Albany is the south-central township and comprises 1-32 of the area of Bradford county. It is bounded by Asylum on the north, Monroe on the north and northwest, Terry and Wilmot on the east, Sullivan county on the south and Overton on the west. Its surface is hilly and broken, being mountainous in the north and northwest, with high table-lands on both sides of the South Branch, which on the west are cut by numerous streams. The principal stream, the South Branch of Towanda creek, flows north-westerly through the town, its tributary branches being Beaver Meadow brook from the southwest and Ladd's creek from the west. The headwaters of both Sugar Run creek and the Loyal Sock are in this town. Near the south line is the divide, waters from one side of which reach the West Branch, and from the other side, the North Branch of the Susquehanna. The hills and valleys were originally covered with a dense forest of hemlock, ash, beech, birch, maple, pine and oak, being the habitat of numberless deer and bears, packs of wolves, panthers and other wild animals, while the streams swarmed with, myriads of brook-trout. The township has an area of 36 square miles and was formed from Asylum in 1824; population 834 in 1920.