Borough municipal offices are located at 21 North O'Neil Street, Mohnton PA 19540; phone: 610-775-4419.
First settled around 1846, Mohnton was incorporated March 18, 1907 from Cumru Township.
This town, in the Wyomissing valley five miles from Reading, in 1840 contained a small log house and some pasture land, overgrown with brambles. Benjamin Mohn secured possession of it soon thereafter and erected a mill. The manufacture of hats became an important business. The house which Mr. Mohn erected was later changed into a tavern. Factories soon were built upon the creek and houses were erected upon the adjoining hills for the people who were employed in them. The post office was established in 1857 and the borough was created in 1907.
The Wyomissing furnishes good water power and different factories sprang up along its course. Besides grist mills and wool hat factories, a gun barrel factory was operated for a number of years. The town in 1913 contained bakeries, cigar factory, grist mill, cotton lap factory, hosiery mills, paper box factory, planing mills, saw mill, shirt factories, wheelright shops, electric light plant, water works, and the like. The Mohnton Auditorium was the largest in the county outside Reading.
The Reading and Southwestern Electric Railroad passed through Mohnton to Adamstown, where it connected with a line to Lancaster. The town then also had three churches and a bank. A settlement names "Pennwin" [see Pennwyn, Cumru Township] was developing near the eastern border of the town about that time.