banner search whats new site index home

Kutztown Borough


Borough municipal offices are located at 45 Railroad Street, Kutztown PA 19530; phone: 610-683-6729.

First settled about 1779, Kutztown was incorporated in 1815 from Maxatawny Township. Originally called Coostown, George Coots laid out plans for the town around 1779, having purchased 130 acres from Peter Wentz 24 years earlier. (1755) By 1785 those lots began to sell with Adam Dietrich and Henry Schweier among the first purchasers.

Two borough properties are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

  1. 1892 Public School Building, (Normal and White Oak Streets) was opened in October 1893; staff and teacher salaries ranged from $25 to $45/month
  2. H. K. Deisher Knitting Mill, (circa 1881 and 1903, 56 Noble Avenue) was built originally by an association of 42 area farmers as a combined dairy and cheese manufacturing plant; purchased by Deisher in 1882 to house his knitting mill.
  3. Kutztown State University (approximately 10,000 students) originated as the Keystone Normal School in 1886 and, along the way evolved as a State Teachers College (1928), a State College (1960), achieving university status in 1983.

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 10085 • Privacy