Township municipal offices are located at 202 Weil Road, Boyertown PA 19512; phone: 610-845-7595.
District Township was organized in 1759. In that year the County Commissioners divided the large territory comprised within the borders of Oley, forming a new township out of the eastern part. Because this lay between Oley proper and Colebrookdale, it was frequently referred to as the district lying between the two, so when the time came to select a name for the township it was called District.
In 1849 about eleven hundred acres were added to this township in the eastern section. The part added was taken from Hereford Township. The highest point in the township is eleven hundred feet above sea level.
During its early history there were mills and tanneries along the small creeks, and ruins of them may still be seen.