banner search whats new site index home

Bernville Borough


Bernville Borough Hall is located at 6602 Bernville Road, Bernville PA 19506; phone: 610-488-1591.

Beginnings [1]

Thomas Umbenhouer's father lived in Bern, Switzerland. When he laid out this borough in 1819, he named it Bern after his father's native town. The Union Canal was built along the Tulpehocken Creek in 1828 and passed near the borough. This helped the growth of the town. For a long time it was an important shipping point. When the Lebanon Valley Railroad was built the traffic of the Canal declined and it was later abandoned entirely. This was injurious to the town. The nearest station is Robesonia, seven miles to the south. A branch of the South Mountain Railroad was projected from Reading to Strausstown through Bernville. The people of the locality subscribed liberally, but the road was never built. The projected roadway is still visible but the money subscribed was a total loss. Bernville was incorporated in 1851.

  1. A. E. Wagner, Ph.D., F. W. Balthaser, M.E., and D.K. Hoch, The Story of Berks County Pennsylvania, Eagle Book ad Job Press, Reading, 1913
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 10061 • Privacy