Parker City municipal offices are located at 313 North Cooper Avenue, Parker PA 16049; phone: 724-399-2971.
In this little, almost forgotten town on the Allegheny River, in the northernmost part of the county limits, Armstrong can claim the credit of possessing the smallest city in the United States. Yet at the date of its incorporation every evidence was given that Parker would one day stand in the class of the average metropolis of from 10,000 to 25,000 inhabitants. But that hope is now past, and Parker has only her charter as evidence of her once mighty population.
The name of this city was adopted as an honor to the Hon. John Parker, who surveyed most of the land now included in the counties of Armstrong and Butler in 1786. In 1797 he was granted several hundred acres of land for his services, most of it being on the present site of Parker City. He settled here and built a house on a hill in the edge of Butler county, where he resided until his death. He was associate judge of Butler county for thirty-five years. He left a large family, all of whom later became identified with the history of Parker City and the surrounding territory. William Parker, father of Judge Parker, moved from Washington County with his family about the year 1798, settled upon Bear creek and erected a gristmill there. It was of logs and contained only the rudest machinery, but it was a great convenience to settlers for many miles around. It was the first mill erected in the northern part of the county.