Burrell Township Office is located on Park Drive, Black Lick PA 15716; phone: 724-248-3308.
Burrell Township was formed in 1855 from parts of Kittanning, Kiskiminitas, and Plum Townships. It was named for Judge Burrell who was president judge of the Tenth Judicial District, composed of Armstrong, Indiana and Westmoreland counties. Crooked creek is the principal stream running through the township. The Indians called it Woak-hanne, meaning the stream with large bends.
Early settlers included Reading Beatty, Jacob Hart, James Shields, Robert Finney, William Palmer, Robert Carnahan, John Wagle, James Vanhorn, Adam Fiscus, Jacob Beer, William Kerr, Thomas York, George Elliott, John Brown, John Beck, James Renwick, John Pitts, and Joseph Shoemaker among others.