Pendleton City Hall is located at 500 Southwest Dorion Avenue, Pendleton, OR 97801; phone: 541-276-1811.
The Pendleton area was settled in 1862 by Abram Miller and his family with the filing of a 160-acre homestead claim. The original town site plat was filed on December 18, 1868, and the first post office was established around 1869-1870 with Frank Coates as the first postmaster. Incorporation took place on October 25, 1880 and Pendleton was also named the county seat, having spirited it away from Umatilla City. In 1880 the city had a population of 830. The next two decades were ones of expansion and rapid growth, fueled by agriculture and wool production. The population grew to 2,506 in 1890 and 4,406 at the turn of the century. The decade ending in 1910 was one of stagnation, with the 1910 population reaching only 4,460. The next decade, however, was one of growth and development and by 1920 Pendleton had a population of 6,857.