banner search whats new site index home

Florence City

Florence City Hall is located at 250 Highway 101, Florence, OE 97439.

Heceta Head Lighthouse and Keepers Quarters, ca. 1892, Pacific coastline just north of Florence, OR

Photo: Heceta Head Lighthouse and Keepers Quarters, ca. 1892, along the Pacific coastline just north of Florence, OR. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Photographed by User:Cacophony (own work), 2008, [cc-by-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed April, 2013.

Florence as described in 1940.

Florence, by the Siuslaw River, is a fishing town and the trading point for farmers of the small Siuslaw Valley. Formerly row boats and "one-lungers," boats powered by one-cylinder marine engines, were used for valley transportation. Errands were run, children taken to school, and parents went to churches and sociables in boats, frequently powered by the winds or the tides. George Melvin Miller, the poet, helped develop the town. Florence holds an annual Rhododendron Festival.

  1. Works Progress Administration, Federal Writers' Project, Oregon: End of the Trail, American Guide Series, Binfords & Mort, Publishers, Portland, 1940.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 19078