Rogue River City
Rogue River City Hall is located at 133 Broadway Street, Rogue River, OR 97537; phone: 541-582-4401.
The first white man credited with establishing a business in what is now Rogue Rive was Davis "Coyote" Evans. He built 2 cabins and ran a ferry across the Rogue River at the mouth of what is now Evans Creek. The ferry greatly aided the flow of supplies to miners and early settlers located in the Evans Valley, Pleasant Creek and Mays Creek areas. Rogue River soon became an important stagecoach stop and mail delivery point. By the 1870s the railroad was completed and the town began to grow in earnest.
The community we now call Rogue River was first called "Tailholt," presumably because settlers who couldn't or wouldn't pay the ferry fare held onto their horse's tail as they forded the Rogue River crossing. In 1855, the name was changed temporarily to Gold River. In 1872, the town was renamed once again, this time called Woodville, in part because of the lumber that was generated there and perhaps because John Woods soon became the postmaster. The town was first incorporated as Woodville in 1910. The city received its current name in 1912, in part because mail was coming addressed that way, and in part to raise the visibility of the town.