Idabel City Hall is located at 201 East Main Street, Idabel, OK 74745; phone: 580-286-7608.
The town was first established in 1902, first named Purcell, and named as the county seat in 1907. A post office was established in 1904.
Idabel as described in 1941 
Idabel, seat of McCurtain County, on the divide separating the valleys of Little and Red Rivers, was at first named Mitchell, then renamed for the daughters, Ida and Belle, of a Choctaw citizen on whose land the town was built. Farming and lumbering are the principal supports of the town; and here is the main office of a big lumber and coal company.