The Town of Laverne administrative offices are located on South Oklahoma Avenue, Laverne, OK 73848; phone: 580-921-5817.
In late 1911, Frank Kell, hearing of the construction of the branch line of the M.K. and T. Railway, platted, divided, and sold lots from his homestead as the new town of Laverne. By the spring of 1912, the railroad, known as the Wichita Falls and North Western Branch, was in service to Laverne and numerous businesses had already located in the new townsite designed to serve the surrounding agricultural area. By July, 1912, passenger service had opened to Laverne and the railroad could now bring more settlers as well as supplies. By the end of 1913, numerous businesses had begun construction on permanent buildings for the 44 establishments already in town. The newspaper ran advertisements for at least 2 banks, a general store, 2 hardware stores, a meat market, 3 lumberyards, 2 rooming houses, a garage (for the very few automobiles in the area), a pool hall, 2 hotels, a grain dealership, 3 doctors, a pharmacy, a livery stable, a fruit produce exchange, a barber, at least 1 restaurant and 2 churches.
By 1918 the basic character of the central business district of Laverne had taken shape. Laverne is typical of rural, agricultural communities in western Oklahoma that are characterized by stability, isolation and continuity of the population. This resulted in very slow changes in the business community and few opportunities for luxuries such as fast food chains, theatres or recreational centers.