The Watertown Township fiscal office is located at 90 Plum Run Road, Waterford, OH 45786; phone: 740-749-3103.
It is the only Watertown Township statewide. Established in 1806 it is the largest township in Washington County. This township was first known as Wooster Township. In a later meeting of the county commissioners set off of Waterford and attached to Wooster part of the town. In 1813, part of Union Township were set off and annexed to Wooster. The name was changed from Wooster to Waterford in 1824. This was done to avoid confusion with Wooster Township in Wayne County. Watertown was named in honor of Sherman Waterman who was killed by the Indians in 1795. In 1877 Watertown received part of Union Township when it was dissolved. This tract was originally part of Marietta & Adams Townships. Watertown as it existed before 1813 had originally been a part of Waterford. [en.wikipedia.org, accessed October, 2015.]