Danville Village Hall is located at 512 Market Street, Danville, OH 43014; phone: 740-599-6888.
Originally known as "Sapp's Settlement," after the four brothers who came here in 1806 from western Maryland, the Village of Danville was later named for Daniel Sapp, one of the brothers who first settled in the eastern part of our county. The community, one of the oldest in Knox County, is located in Union Township, one of the original four townships. The Sapps were part of the early Catholic community here and were instrumental in the establishment of St. Luke's Catholic Church, the second oldest such Parish in Ohio. The founding priest, Father Lamy, later became the Archbishop of the Diocese of Santa Fe, New Mexico, gaining fame through the writings of novelist Willa Cather.
The first post office in the eastern part of the county was established at Danville in 1824. The town flourished during the railroad era and during the 1870s, it shared postal and commercial growth with the adjoining towns of Rossville and Buckeye City. Running right through Danville is route U.S. 62, which stretches from Niagara Falls, New York, to the Mexican border at El Paso, Texas.
In recent years Danville has become known for its annual "Danville-Howard Turkey Festival" and the Raccoon Dinner held each February.