Centerburg Village Hall is located at 49-1/2 East Main Street, Centerburg, OH 43011; phone: 740-625-7808.
After its founding in the early 1830s as the center of Hilliar Township, some of the Village of Centerburg residents claimed that it was at the geographical center of Ohio in hopes that it would become the state capitol. It is located in Hilliar Township in the far southwest corner of Knox County, 14 miles southwest of Mount Vernon. Even before 1820, its location was on the main road from the Lake Erie and northern Ohio regions to the State Capital in Columbus, a road which would later become the "Wooster, Mount Vernon and Columbus Road," and then S.R. 3.
For 40 years, the three townships north of Centerburg — South Bloomfield, Chester and Franklin — were also part of Knox County prior to the formation of Morrow County in 1848. Later on, Centerburg benefited from the railroad boom, and it has remained a center of commerce in the southern part of our county.
In more recent years, Centerburg has become known for the highly successful "Oldtime Farming Festival" each September and the "Heart of Ohio USA Days Festival" in June. The residential areas continue to grow as newcomers find the friendly community a convenient commute to Columbus.