St Bernard City
St. Bernard City Hall is located at 120 Washington Avenue, Cincinnati OH 45215; phone: 513-641-3900.
In 1878 two communities, Ludlow Grove and St. Bernard, located along the Mill Creek Valley were incorporated and named St. Bernard. Prior to 1878 Ludlow Grove was a small, unplatted community settled in 1794 by John Ludlow along the road to White's Station near the Mill Creek on the west side of the Miami-Erie Canal. St. Bernard was a German Catholic settlement platted in 1850 by John Bernard Schroeder and Joseph Kleine along Carthage Pike (east of the Miami-Erie Canal).
Between 1851 and 1872 three railroads were built in St. Bernard: (1) the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad; (2) the Marietta & Cincinnati extended its line from Loveland; and (3) the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railroad. Almost 100 years later, in 1958, Interstate 75 was built through the community and generally followed the route of the Miami-Erie Canal.
In 1859 the first industry located in St. Bernard. Industries were attracted by the available land, access to the rail and canal lines, and abundant water supply. In 1885 the factories of Proctor & Gamble Company and Emery Candle Company moved from downtown Cincinnati to the Ludlow Grove area. The area was renamed Ivorydale after the new P&G plant. At the end of the 19th century industries employed over 2/3rds of workers in St. Bernard. Many more industries moved in during the first 2 decades of the 20th century. From 1880 to 1910 St. Bernard's population grew five-fold. St. Bernard became a city in 1912, the 3rd in the county and the 1st in the Mill Creek Valley.