Brooklyn City Hall is located at 7619 Memphis Avenue, Brooklyn, OH 44144; phone: 216-351-2133.
Brooklyn Township was organized in June 1818 as a part of Cleveland's early west side territory. Throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries, the City of Cleveland annexed land from the township while a number of individual communities in the township incorporated. In 1927, with only a small area in the southwest corner of the original Brooklyn Township remaining, residents of the township incorporated as a village. Under the leadership of Mayor John M. Coyne, Brooklyn became a home-rule city with a charter in 1950.
After WWII, a housing boom was underway. Over 840 homes were built in the 1940s compared to only 67 the decade before. Then, between 1950 and 1960 nearly 1,500 more homes were constructed. By this time, the City's street network and neighborhood patterns were in place with Ridge Road as the primary north-south street and Memphis Avenue and Biddulph Road as major east-west streets; single-family homes, mostly bungalows were built in fairly compact neighborhoods; and industry was located at the outer edges of the City, along Clinton Road and Tiedeman Road, between Big Creek and the rail lines. Small-scale retail stores were located along Memphis Avenue and Ridge Road.
In the mid-1950s, during the housing boom, City Hall was constructed in a central location on the south side of Memphis Avenue between Ridge Road and Roadoan Road. With great foresight, the City acquired a sizable amount of land on which it built City Hall and established Veterans Memorial Park. Over the next 30 years, the City continued to expand upon its civic center site with the construction of the Brooklyn Recreation Center in 1975 and the Senior/Community Center in 1983. Further south of the civic center campus, the Brooklyn City School District erected its two elementary buildings in the late 40s and early 50s. This comprehensive array of public buildings was supplemented by numerous churches, associated parochial schools and cemeteries.
By the late 1950s, concentrated commercial development was occurring along Brookpark Road at the City's southern boundary, as Parma too was experiencing record housing construction. Biddulph Plaza was constructed at the corner of Biddulph and Ridge Roads to serve the growing population.