Tuckahoe Village Hall is located at 65 Main Street, Tuckahoe, NY 10707; phone: 914-961-3100.
Tuckahoe, bordered on the west by the Bronx River, has a long history dating back to the founding of the colonial town of Eastchester in 1664. Originally a Native American settlement, the name Tuckahoe referred to the root of a plant that was roasted by the Indians and eaten as bread. A one-time agriculturally based area, Tuckahoe established itself as the major center for marble quarrying in the early Nineteenth Century. Eastchester quarries represented one of the largest supplies of white marble in the United States prior to 1850. The large supply of white marble within Tuckahoe and the surrounding areas, in combination with the construction of the railroad, allowed this industry to flourish for over a century. When the New York and Harlem railroad extended the line north over 150 years ago, one of the first new stops was Tuckahoe. Consequently, quarry owners were able to conveniently ship large blocks of the marble. As a result, structures such as the New York Public Library and St. Patrick's Cathedral and the Washington Monument and the Capitol Building, along with many other buildings built in the 1800s and 1900s, are comprised of marble from Tuckahoe.
The rail line and the quarrying business brought hundreds of workers to the area. This primarily included Irish men and Scottish men, along with Italians, who remained in Tuckahoe more so than the others. Roughly two thirds of the residents in Tuckahoe today are of Italian ancestry. In addition, the Generoso Pope Foundation, a charitable foundation founded by Generoso Pope in 1947, is headquartered in Tuckahoe's old Village Hall. This foundation contributes to the Tuckahoe community in a variety of ways.
In the post-war years, an upsurge in industrial development created thriving manufacturing area that produced electronics, pharmaceuticals and beverages, while the Village's small-town character was preserved. The Village has many historical monuments and buildings that remind the residents of its rich history and contribute to the Village's uniqueness.