Tarrytown Village Hall is located at 1 Depot Plaza, Tarrytown NY 10591; phone: 914-631-1885.
What is now the Village of Tarrytown was occupied, according to the DeVries Map of 1640, by the Weekquaesqueeks, an Algonkin tribe. White occupation began in 1681 when Frederick Philipse purchased the district of Pekantico as part of his manor. Between 1700 and 1775, the land of the village was used for agriculture under the manorial tenant farm system. The land holding of the loyalist Philipse family was confiscated following the Revolution and broken up for sale to former tenants. With the Hudson River serving as the primary source of transportation, the village grew slowly away from the docks, up the hill, reaching the Albany Post Road around 1840.