Lewisboro Town Hall is located at 11 Main Street, South Salem, NY 10590; phone: 914-763-3511.
This town was first organized as Salem, March 7, 1788. The name was changed to South Salem April 6, 1806, and again changed to Lewisboro in 1840. The title of South Salem had been given to distinguish it from the northern town of similar name. The last change was made to honor John Lewis, who, in 1840, gave the sum of $10,000 to establish a fund to aid in the maintenance of the town's public schools.
Goldens Bridge, within the town's limits, is situated on the Harlem Railroad; South Salem is seven miles from Katonah, nearest station, Harlem Railroad; Lewisboro and Cross River are also reached by way of Katonah.
Like neighboring towns, Lewisboro formerly belonged to the Province of Connecticut. In this town Major Andre found a temporary prison shortly after his capture at Tarrytown. Here he wrote a letter to George Washington, confessing as to who he was and the nature of the business that brought him to the locality where he was captured.
The first record of a town meeting held here is that of one held April 2, 1751, when Jacob Wall was named supervisor, along with other town officers.