In 1895 Ontario Center was a postal village on the Ridge Road a little south of the center of town and about 1 mile west of Ontario. It was south of the R. W. & O. Railroad, the station being nearly midway between the two villages. Reynolds K. Northrup built a tavern here in 1830; it was later removed, a portion being converted to a hardware store. A hotel was erected in which the Masons held their meetings. The old hotel burned in 1886. It was kept by E.A. Booth who promptly built another after the demise of the original. Foote & Northrup erected a store about 1830 which operated until it burned in 1844. In 1895 the village contained 3 general stores, 1 drug store, a hotel, a livery and harness shop, a blacksmith shop, a carriage repository, 1 church, a district school, 1 physician, and about 300 inhabitants. A man named John Freeh was postmaster at this time.