Newark Village Hall is located at 100 East Miller Street, Newark NY 14513; phone: 315-331-4770.
Newark, originally Miller's Basin, was founded in 1820 by Joseph Miller, a contractor who was responsible for building a portion of the canal through the village. Newark was incorporated in 1853. In addition to the canal, the village economy was bolstered by two important local businesses: a regional canning firm, later Edgett-Burnham, which relocated here from Oneida County in 1863 and remained a mainstay of the local economy until 2000, and the Jackson and Perkins Company, which was founded here in 1873 and remained in the village until 1966. A variety of other local industries produced furniture, ceramics, electronics, and metalwork, among other products. During World War II, a German prisoner of war camp was located in the village.