Fort Ann Town
Fort Ann Town Hall is located at 80 George Street, Fort Ann, NY 12827; phone: 518-639-8929.
Fort Ann [†] is located on the western boundary of Washington County in upstate New York. The Town of Fort Ann encompasses the Village of Fort Ann as well as several neighborhoods.
Fort Ann is rich in history. Several Revolutionary War battles made the town an important player in the founding of the nation. About a century later, escaped slaves hid here, at places such as the Wray Farm, on their way to Canada. The Champlain Canal, completed in 1823, dramatically boosted the values of the lands and turned Fort Ann Village into an active business community.
This town is named after the old fort built here in 1757 at the intersection of Halfway Creek and Wood Creek and named after Queen Anne, the then reigning sovereign of England. According to the U.S. Census, the Town of Fort Ann and the Village of Fort Ann are the only municipalities in the entire country so named.
† Saratoga Associates for the Town and Village of Fort Ann, NY Joint Community Plan, Fort Ann: A Beautiful Place at the Crossroads of a Beautiful Region, Draft, 2008, dps.ny.gov, accessed August, 2017.