Thurman Town Hall is located at 311 Athol Road, Athol NY 12810; phone: 518-623-4588.
The original town of Thurman came into being on April 10, 1792. Named for John Thurman, early land owner and first settler, it included about all of Warren County outside of Queensbury and Luzerne. Bolton, Chester, Johnsburg, Caldwell, and Warrensburg were all formed from the old town of Thurman. In 1813 what remained of it was known as Athol; in 1852 Athol was divided into the present towns, Stony Creek and Thurman.
A large proportion of the early inhabitants were Scots, mostly from Athol in Scotland. Some of their descendants still live at Athol. In 1820, only one highway ran across what is now this town. This followed the west bank of the Hudson and was so primitive in construction that only foot and horseback travel was attempted. The few settlers who had erected their crude log huts high and dry on land west of this road, had to cut their own trails or bridle paths down to the Hudson.
Potash factories were built about 1820 by David Cameron and John McEwan. In the same year Norman and Alanson Fox of Chester began running pine logs from Thurman down the Hudson to Glens Falls. Thereafter, the region was cut over two or three times by such lumber owners as Abraham Wing III, Walter Geer, Halsey R. Wing, Senus Van Dusen, James and Jeremiah Finch, James Morgan and his partners, and Henry Crandall, all of Glens Falls.