banner search whats new site index home

Queensbury Town

Queensbury Town Hall is located at 742 Bay Road, Queensbury, NY 12804; phone: 518-761-8200.

Beginnings [1]

On May 20, 1762, the patent of Queensbury was granted to 23 persons, all but two living in New Fairfield, Connecticut. This Connecticut group almost immediately sold its interest in the land to Abraham Wing and fellow Quakers from the Oblong in Dutchess County, New York. In less than two months, the patent was held by 31 persons, nearly all of whom were residents of Dutchess County. That same year, Wing surveyed the township and divided Queensbury into sections. Permanent settlement by the Quakers occurred during the following year (1763). The Town of Queensbury's first town meeting was held on May 6, 1766, at which time Abraham Wing was chosen as moderator and supervisor.

With the American Revolution at their very doors, the inhabitants of the newly settled Queensbury suffered from the ruthlessness that characterizes the progress of armies. Given its location between the waterways, this settlement was deeply involved in the conflict. However, because of their religious beliefs, the Quakers did not participate in the fighting. During the war, their property was seized by both sides for which they received no compensation. In 1780, they sustained heavy losses when Carleton and his band of Tories and Indians raided the town, destroying almost every building. Many of the inhabitants of Queensbury then returned to Dutchess County, making several trips back and forth as the tide of war ebbed and flowed in the area. After Carleton's raid, the settlement of Queensbury was deserted for 15 months.

Once peace was restored in 1783, most settlers returned to Queensbury. However, two years later, there were still only 18 families in the entire town. The mills had been destroyed, as were many of the homes. The only roads were the Military Road, a foot path which later became Ridge Road (the Asa Stower House is located on this road), and a rough wagon road along the present line of Bay Road. Within the next 10 years, roads expanded in several directions and settlements developed rapidly as new families moved in, cleared land and began to thrive.

  1. Ned Crispin; L. Garofalini, editor (New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation), Asa Stower House, Warren County New York, nomination document, 2005, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 14243