Horicon Town Hall is located at 6604 State Route 8, Brant Lake NY 12815; phone: 518-494-3647.
Formed from Bolton and Hague on March 29, 1838, Horicon was wild and ruggedly primitive. Pine grew in great abundance and lumbering early became the main business. From the Brant Lake region the first log drives from the North Country were floated down the Schroon and Hudson for the sawmills at Glens Falls. At the same time some logs went to the many little sawmills on the banks of small streams. Lumbermen stocked up with logs in winter, and in summer they sawed and drew lumber to Ticonderoga. Such mills were operated near Brant Lake by John H. Harris and Jonathan Griffen, and near South Horicon by Henry Hopkins and Moses Stickney.
By 1885 the early industries were beginning to disappear and summer visitors to increase. Hotels and cottages were built around Brant Lake; facilities for boating, bathing, and hiking were added, and Horicon turned to the development of the resort business, rather than farming, as its chief source of income. Showing a slight increase, the population of Horicon was listed as 850 in the census of 1940.