New Paltz Village
New Paltz Village Hall is located at 25 Plattekill Avenue, New Paltz NY 12561; phone: 845-255-0130. The village was incorporated in 1887 and lies along the Walkill River.
Of New Paltz's first settlers we know that they left their native land on account of religious persecution, and after a residence of a short period in that portion of Germany known as Pfaltz, or Palatinate, came to the New World from 1660 to 1675.
By 1820 the village had 2 stores, 2 hotels, 2 cake and beer shops, 1 blacksmith, 1 schoolhouse, and 1 church. In the oldest of the old stone houses on Huguenot Street, a man named Selleck had a harness shop about this time.