Hurley Town Hall is located at 10 Wamsley Place, Hurley NY 12443; phone: 845-331-6240.
Hurley was first settled around 1669 on the site of the former village Nieuw Dorp which had been destroyed in 1663 by the Esopus Indians, just one year after it was founded by settlers coming from Wiltwyck (Kingston). It was the last village in the region established under Dutch control. For a brief time during the American Revolution, Hurley served as a temporary state capital of New York. It was incorporated as a town in 1708. In 1860 the village which lies along the Esopus Creek, contained a church and about 160 residents. A Protestant Reformed church was established here in 1800 with Reverend Thomas G. Smith as its first pastor.