banner search whats new site index home

Danby Town

Danby Town Hall is located at 1830 Danby Road, Ithaca, NY 14850; phone: 607-277-2400.

Beginnings [1]

Danby was organized in February, 1811, when it was taken from the Town of Spencer, Tioga county, and it was annexed to Tompkins county, March 22, 1822. On the 29th of April 1839, a small part of the Town of Caroline was annexed to Danby.

The first town meeting was held on March 12, 1811, and the following officers were elected: Stephen Beers, Jr., supervisor; Uri Hill, town clerk; Nathan Adams, Aaron Bennett and Benjamin Jennings, assessors; John Yaple, Seymour H. Adams and Hudson Jennings, commissioners of highways; Jacob Yaple and Stephen Beers, overseers of the poor; Birdsley Clark, constable and collector; Hudson Jennings, constable; Lewis Beardsley, Hezekiah Clark, John Dumond and John Yaple, fence viewers and damage appraisers; Hezekiah Clark, pound-master.

  1. Prof. W. T. Hewitt and John H. Selkreg, editor, Landmarks of Tompkins County New York Including a History of Cornell University, D. Mason & Company, Publishers, Syracuse, 1894.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 16027