Lindenhurst Village Hall is located at 430 South Wellwood Avenue, Lindenhurst, NY 11757; phone: 631-957-7500.
Lindenhurst was originally settled by German immigrants who were later joined by Italians, Greeks and Poles. After the Long Island Railroad arrived in 1867, Lindenhurst's commercial district began to develop along Wellwood Avenue at the site of the railroad station. This pattern was typical, as most business districts in Suffolk County originally grew around a transportation hub such as a harbor or a train station. The Village of Lindenhurst was incorporated in 1923. Until World War II, commercial activity and housing development clustered around the existing central business district (CBD).
After World War II, Lindenhurst grew tremendously. Lindenhurst became a bedroom community for New York City workers because of its proximity to the Long Island Railroad and to major roadways. The resultant housing boom was accommodated by the subdivision of the farmland that surrounded the existing downtown center. Major industrial and office space was developed across Long Island, providing local employment.