East Hampton Town
East Hampton Town Hall is located at 159 Pantigo Road, East Hampton, NY 11937; phone: 631-324-4142.
East Hampton was purchased as far eastward as Montauk in 1648 by Theophilus Eaton, Governor of the Colony of New Haven, and Edward Hopkins, Governor of the Colony of Connecticut, for the benefit of the original settlers, and was assigned to them by Eaton and Hopkins in the spring of 1651.
At what precise date the first inhabitants of this town planted themselves upon the soil is not known. It was probably in the spring or summer of 1649. The earliest instrument I find on record indicating their residence here is a letter of attorney from John Hand in relation to some lands in Stanstede, in Kent, England; it bears date Oct. 31st, 1649.
As many of the inhabitants came from Maidstone, in the county of Kent, in England, they first called their plantation by that name. As early as 1650, and within a year from the first settlement it is mentioned on the Records by its present name.
At the time of the first occupation of this new territory the Indians were numerous, and situated on every side. On the East, at Montaukett, the Royal Wyandanch swayed the sceptre. On the North, at Shelter Island, his brother, Poggatacut, ruled the tribe of Manhassetts; and a third brother, by the name of Nowedinah presided over the destinies of the Shinecock tribe. Little or no intercourse was held between East Hampton and Southampton through the unbroken wilderness which intervened.
The first settlers of East Hampton were: John Hand, Thomas Talmage, Jr., Daniel Howe, Thomas Thomson, John Stretton, Sr., Robert Bond, Robert Rose, Joshua Barnes, and John Mulford. Other early settlers included: Thomas Osborn, William Hedges, Ralph Dayton, Thomas Chatfield, Thomas Osborn Jr., Nathaniel Bishop, William Barnes, Lion Gardiner, John Osborne, Jeremiah Veale, William Fithian, Richard Brookes, William Simonds, Samuel Belknap, Samuel Parsons, Joshua Garlicke, Fulke Davis, John Miller, Charles Barnes, Stephen Hand, Thomas Baker, Ananias Conklin, Richard Shaw and Jeremiah Meacham.