Babylon Village Hall is located at 153 West Main Street, Babylon NY 11702; phone: 631-669-1500.
The Village of Babylon, formerly Huntington South, is located on Long Island's south shore in an area that was inhabited by the Secatogues until the late 17th century. English domination is documented to have begun as early as 1653, when Captain John Underhill fought and defeated the native Americans. A succession of deeds dating from the second half of the century effectively shifted ownership and control of the land to the new settlers, although as late as the American Revolution the land remained only sparsely populated. Many of the landowners lived in Huntington village or other settlements and prized the marshy necks along the South Bay and their natural abundance of salt hay. The area remained generally agricultural until well into the 19th century.
The southern or "post road," now Main Street in many of Long Island's south shore villages, was an early link between widely-scattered centers of population. It was along this corridor that many 18th and early 19th century period dwellings were built. The concentration of settlers in this area was evidently due in large part to its geography. The south shore claims few rivers, and the streams which characterize the Babylon area provided an opportunity for the exploitation of a natural source of power.