Addison Town Hall is located at 21 Main Street, Addison, NY 14801; phone: 607-359-3170.
Addison was formed as Middletown in March of 1796. Its name was changed April 6, 1808. Parts were taken off to form new towns at various times from 1808 to 1859. In 1865 the population was 1,819. The principal historic village, Addison, was first settled by Samuel Rice in 1791. Reuben and Lemuel Searles, the Martins (John, Isaac, and James), Jonathan Tracy, William Benham, Martin Young and Isaac Morey were among the first settlers.
One author suggests that the town was named for Joseph Addison, a noted English author during the time the town was organized. 
The first tavern was kept by Reuben Searles. George Goodhue built the first saw mill in 1793. William Wombaugh built a saw mill in 1805 and a grist mill in 1806.