Town of Stockholm, P. O. Box 206, Winthrop NY 13697; phone: 315-389-5171.
Stockholm was incorporated in 1806 and received its name in honoring the original surveyors who hailed from Stockholm, Sweden. Settlement began about 1800 by Dr. Luman Pettibone, followed by Ebenezer Hulburd, Benjamin Wright, Isaac Kelsey, and Abram Sheldon among others. A number of the early families to permanently settle here were from Orwell, Vermont.
Amos Bicknell built the first gristmill at what became known as Bickneyville, later renamed West Stockholm. Samuel Reynolds built the first saw mill.