Seneca Falls Village
The Village of Seneca Falls was dissolved in 2011.
The village of Seneca Falls owes its early industrial development to the fifty-foot waterfall that powered local mills. Industrial development continued into the twentieth century with the Gould Pumps Works supplying pumping apparatus to move water at great speeds as well as molten lead, bread dough, wood pulp, tar and printing ink. However, the fame of Seneca Falls is its association with the Women's Rights Movement and that movement's physical embodiment in the buildings that compose the Women's Rights Historic Sites (National Register listed, 1980), located in both Waterloo and Seneca Falls. Elizabeth Cady Staton, Mary Ann M'Clintock and Lucretia Mott organized a national Women's Rights Convention that was held in Seneca Falls on July 19 and 20, 1848. Its purpose was to "discuss the social, civil, and religious condition and rights of women." The convention adopted a Declaration of Sentiments and Resolutions which argued for the equality of women. The Convention spurred similar meetings across the country and the founding, in Seneca Falls, of the women's rights publication, The Lily, by Amelia Jenks Bloomer. The publication continued from its inception in 1849 until 1853.