Ovid Village Hall is located at 2136 Brown Street, Ovid NY 14521; phone: 607-859-5560.
Ovid was organized in 1789; it is located about 170 miles from Albany, 17 miles southeast of Waterloo. It is delightfully situated on the Newburg Turnpike. The village commands a view of a large part of both lakes (Cayuga and Seneca), and of portions of 9 adjoining counties, the land rising gradually to it from the lakes, rich, arable, and finely cultivated farms. About 1840 the village had a population of 2,700 and contained about 100 dwellings, an academy and 2 churches (Presbyterian and Methodist). It is a "half shire" seat of Seneca County government.