Interlaken Village Hall is located at 8369 Main Street, Interlaken, NY 14847; phone: 607-532-9200.
When settlement was begun in the late 1700s, the area was known as Farmer or Farmer Village. The name was changed to Interlaken in 1904 when the village was incorporated.
During events surrounding the incorporation of the village, there was a movement to rename the Lehigh Valley Railroad Depot. The railroad sponsored a contest; school teacher, Georgiana Wheeler, had visited Switzerland and suggested the name Interlaken based on her travels.
The town grew substantially during the 1800s as evidenced by the creation of 4 churches during that century: Union Baptist (1819), Reformed Church of Farmerville (1830), Universalist Church (1850) and Saint Francis Solanus Catholic Church (1874).
During the late 1800s and early 1900s a number of businesses along Main Street succumbed to fires at various times. Most were rebuilt and the thoroughfare remains the focal point of business in the village.