banner search whats new site index home

Sharon Springs Village

Sharon Springs Village Hall is located at 129 Main Street, Sharon Springs NY 13459; phone: 518-284-2625.

Beginnings [1]

Located a little north-west of the center of the Town of Sharon, Sharon Springs is noted for its sulphur and chalybeate diseases. The hotel accommodations are increasing annually to meet the demands of the visiting community. The improvements added to the natural attractions of the place, render it unsurpassed, in the number of its visitors, except for Saratoga. The Sharon & Cherry Valley Railroad passes within half a mile of the village, affording all needed facilities for transportation. It contains two churches, nine hotels, several stores and mechanic shops, and about 1,000 inhabitants. [Population 200 Census: 547.] The springs are so strongly impregnated with sulphur that chips, leaves and pebbles, exposed to the action of the water for a short time, become coated with a thin whitish coat of sulphur. A short distance below the springs is a fine cascade. The view from the Pavilion is one of the finest in this region. It stands upon the summit of a hill that overlooks a landscape of rare beauty.

  1. Child, Hamilton, Gazetteer and Business Directory of Schoharie County, N.Y. for 1872-3, The Journal Office, Syracuse, 1872.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 17288