Middleburgh Town Hall is located at 143 Railroad Avenue, Middleburgh NY 12122; phoen: 518-827-5100.
Middleburgh was formed from Schoharie, March 1797, as Middletown. The name was changed in 1801. A part was re-annexed to Schoharie, March 26, 1798. Fulton was taken off in 1828, and parts were annexed to Broome in 1849. It is the central town on the east border of the County. The surface is a hilly upland, divided into two ridges by the valley of Schoharie Creek, which extends north and south through the town. The highest summits are from 600 to 800 feet above the valley. A hill opposite Middleburgh Village was called by the Indians On-can-ge-na, meaning " Mountain of Snakes." A mountain just above Middleburgh, on the west side, was called O-nis-ta-gra-wa ; the one next west was called To-wok-now-ra, or " Spring Hill," and one south-east of Middleburgh, Ma-he-gou- ter. Schoharie Creek receives Little Schoharie Creek from the east, and Linekill from the west. The hills bordering upon the streams are generally steep and sometimes precipitous. The soil is a clayey loam upon the hills and a sandy loam in the valleys. Hops and broom-corn are extensively cultivated.