Rotterdam Town Hall is located at 1100 Sunrise Boulevard, Rotterdam NY 12306; phone: 518-355-7575.
The Township of Rotterdam was first settled by white men about the year 1661, and was named from the city of Rotterdam in Holland. The fertile river bottom lands extending five miles westward from Schenectady were called by the early settlers the Bouwland, meaning good or fertile land, and all the land lying west of this tract was known as Woestina, or Wilderness. Rotterdam was formed from Schenectady in 1820, and was formerly the third ward of the city. Additional lands were taken from the city in 1853, and in 1865 a portion of the town was re-ceded to the city. In 1880 the town population was about 2,300 inhabitants.