banner search whats new site index home

Niskayuna Town


Niskayuna Town Hall is located at One Niskayuna Circle, Niskayuna NY 12309; phone: 518-386-4500.

Beginnings [1]

The name of this town is said to be derived from the term Nis-ti-go-oo-ne, or Co-nis-ti-glo-no, by which it is known on the old maps. The name signifies extensive corn flats. The term was also applied to portions of Watervliet and Halfmoon, and the first ward of Schenectady. Upon the advent of the whites, this place was occupied by a tribe of Indians known as the Conistigione.

Niskayuna was formed from Watervliet, Albany County, March 7, 1809, with a population of 681; and a part of Schenectady was annexed in 1853. Niskayuna contains 10,471 acres. It lies on the Mohawk in the east part of the County.

The first settlement of this town was made by an independent class of Hollanders — like the pioneers of Schenectady — who located outside the manor line to avoid the conflicting exactions of the Patroons, and the trading government of the New Netherlands. It was settled at an early date, about the same time that Schenectady was.

Among the early settlers were the Clutes, Veddeers, Van Vrankens, Groots, Tymersons, Consauls, Pearses, Van Brookhovens, Claas Jansen, and Krygiers (now written Cregier).

From an old document it appears that Harmon Vedder obtained a patent for some land here in 1664.

  1. Munsell, John H., ed., History of the County of Schenectady N.Y., from 1662 to 1886, 1886, W. W. Munsell & Co., Publishers, New York
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 13947