Glenville Town Hall is located at 18 Glenridge Road, Scotia NY 12302; phone: 518-688-1200.
Glenville was named from the original patentee, Sanders Lenderstse Glen. It was formed from the fourth ward of Schenectady, April 14, 1820. It is the only town in the county north of the Mohawk. In 1665 the country around Scotia was granted to Glen, a native of Scotland, who had removed to Holland in 1645 on account of religious persecution. After several years spent there in mercantile pursuits, he migrated to the New Netherlands.
Hoffman's Ferry was established about 1700 by Harmanus Vedder, and called Vedder's Ferry until 1835. It was bought in 1835 by John Hoffman, from whom it took its present name. The present owner is Jeremiah Vanderhyden. The rate of passage is 5 cents for a single individual and ten cents for one horse and carriage. This is a railroad station of the Central Road and is an insignificant place at present, with no hotel. It has a small store, and has a hay barn for storing hay in transit for the market. The business interests center on the opposite side of the river in Rotterdam.
In 1820, when the town of Glenville was set off from the City of Schenectady, much of the unoccupied land that was held by the city was cut up and sold in twenty-acre lots to residents of the city for wood lots. This was sold in single lots only and but one to the same person. This rendered farming on these lands for a long time impossible. It was only in December of 1883 that the city sold the last of its lots, and many of these twenty-acre lots are still held. This has been one cause of delaying development of this part of the county.
Among the first settlers were the Glens, Sanderses, Vieles, Van Eppses, Ostroms, Tolls, Barhydts, Browns, Johnsons, and Carpenters.