Victory Village Hall is located at 23 Pine Street, Victory Mills NY 12884; phone: 518-695-3808.
Incorporated in 1849, Victory is located on the north bank of Fish Creek, a tributary of the Hudson River. The village has approximately 500-600 residents, making it one of the smallest in New York.
The Village of Victory was incorporated in 1849 and the Victory Mills Post office opened in 1852. At that time, the Village population was listed as 637. By 1866, the current streets of the Village had been laid out. However, it never developed a full range of community institutions because of its close proximity to Schuylerville. There was one church in the Village, the Union Methodist Church, built in 1854, and one school house, erected in 1872. The schoolhouse building is now owned by the Village and serves as the fire station and the Village Meeting Room, with a new addition housing the mayor's and clerk's offices.
The Victory Mill, which began operating in 1846, made 1.8 million yards of cotton cloth per year. In 1850 it employed 160 men and 209 women. Over the years, the mill was enlarged several times, including a concrete addition in 1918. In 1928 the owners closed the Victory Mill and moved the production of cotton cloth to Alabama, where the labor was cheaper and the raw cotton was readily available.
Several companies owned and operated the facilities since then, including the United Board and Carton Corporation, which reopened the plant in 1937, and Wheelabrator-Frye Incorporated, which bought the plant in 1972. Its graphics communication subsidiary, A. L. Garber Company, installed new equipment to produce specialized cartons and opened up new job opportunities at the mills. In 1977, Clevepak Corporation purchased the plant and moved additional printing, cutting, and computer equipment into the plant. In 1983, the Victory Mill plant was purchased by Gene Holcombe and others and incorporated under the name of Victory Specialty Packaging, Inc. This company employed 152 people and produced cartons for pharmaceutical and food industries. The plant closed in 2000.